.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Scootertrash Conservative

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Tomatoes make me happy


Why do tomatoes make me happy? Well since you asked, they make me happy in a variety of ways. The first tomatoes of the year are a celebration. They make the finest first tomato meal of the season, bacon lettuce and tomato sandwiches, mmmmmmmm. Next, I get to see all my friends at the Boone County farmers market. Usually this is to supplement my tomato crop, but thanks to the local deer population, this year I don't have much of one (sad violin music playing in the background, faint sound of weeping). When the tomato crop really gets going, It's homemade salsa time (Latin music plays in the background, tears of sadness turn to tears of joy). I make my own salsa and we give away much more that we eat, which is a lot. I just made a new batch, probably about a gallon. At the risk of sounding immodest, people like my salsa. It makes me happy to make people happy with my salsa. It is one of the great joys in my life that I can make food that people like to eat.
Volunteers make me happy. For all you non-gardeners, a volunteer is a plant that sprouts up on it's own without any help from the gardener. Usually from seeds discarded in a compost pile or a leftover tomato tilled into the garden. This year's volunteer appeared in the compost pile in the side yard and is a wonderful, medium sized, full flavored yellow tomato.
Tomatoes are the essence of summer, they need the summer sun to ripen and the warm summer rain to grow. They make me happy, and I can use them to make other people happy. What more can you ask from this humble fruit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home