.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Scootertrash Conservative

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Hungarian Scout Festival, Cserkesznap, pronounced Chair-kayz-nop, which means scout day, is yet another reason I love Cleveland. The first thing that strikes you about the festival is that people will speak to you in Hungarian. They try Hungarian first and if you look baffled they switch to English. But no matter what language you speak the people are friendly and inviting. The next time you go to your local ethnic festival see how much of the language is spoken. That's all fine and good, you may be saying to yourself, but what about the food? I'm glad you asked because I discovered something interesting the last time I went. I knew that the paprikas, the gulyas, the stuffed cabbage, the Hungarian pastries and crepes were all made by the people that ran the festival. In other words Hungarians. What I didn't know was that they made the sausage as well. When I asked one of the guys doing the cooking where the sausage came from, he informed me it came from a pig. He wasn't just grilling the sausage, he was one of the guys that made the sausage for the festival. I got the recipe from him, it's all by taste not measurement, and I will try my hand at making some this fall. Do I have a point doing all this bragging about the Hungarian Scout Festival? Yes. There is a different level of ethnic intensity in Cleveland than in most of the cities in which I've lived and it's evident in it's festivals, neighborhoods and markets. It's just one more reason why I love Cleveland.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home