.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Scootertrash Conservative

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Jungle Jim's


If you are ever in the Greater Cincinnati area, I highly recommend Jungle Jim's international market. It is the most fun you'll ever have shopping for food. Even if you don't need anything, just go and look around. I guarantee you've never seen anything like it. In a world of cookie cutter, generic grocery stores (Meyers, Krogers, Walmart and the like) it stands alone, a tribute to quality and creativity. Here's an example; the antique fire truck you see below is hoisted above what has to be the largest selection of hot sauces in the world!

Want some cheese?

Inside the box you see above, is provolone cheese aging in a climate controlled environment. When it has reached maturity it will be portioned and sold. I've been walking past that display for 2 years now. When this big guy is ready, I'll be at the front of the line.

What sold me more on Jungle Jim's more than anything else is what you see above,Gyulai sausage. They always have it. This particular brand of Hungarian sausage is the brand that my father (an actual Hungarian) loved. We would go to Otto's to buy this smoked delight and I remember my father talking to the proprietor in Hungarian and feeling like I was back in the old country. Even though I've never been to Hungary. You always feel at home at Jungle Jim's


Pedro serenades you while you shop for Mexican food.


An animated Robin Hood and his merry band of men are overhead as you shop for products from the U.K. All sorts of surprises await you a Jungle Jim's, too many to list here. It is truly a unique store and a worthwhile destination for foodies from anywhere in the world.

2 Comments:

At Monday, December 26, 2005, Blogger J.M. Rob said...

What a great store! A "Must See" if you are in the area. We usually go with nothing particular in mind - just sample whatever is interesting. You'll be amazed with what you may come home with.

I've heard recently that another Jungle Jims may be coming to Oakley and perhaps also to the Northern KY area. While I'm jazzed about it, I wonder if such a great experience could be duplicated. Afterall, the original is so unique. What are your thoughts Michael?

 
At Tuesday, December 27, 2005, Blogger Mike said...

Part of the ambiance of the original is that he expanded in such a way that the shopping experience flows from area to area, not aisle to aisle. Each section has it's own personality. I like the fact that so many recent immigrants shop there, and they bring all the kids. I doubt that the Oakley store would attract that kind of clientele.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home